Sunday, August 21, 2011

Preemie Clinic Visit

On August 10th, we went to Vanderbilt for Hannah Kate's 6 month Preemie Clinic visit. We got to Nashville late Tuesday night and stayed with Celia. She and Charlie were excited to see Hannah Kate! We had to get up super early to get to the hospital in time for Hannah Kate's appointment and to see some nurses. Unfortunately, we somehow missed our night nurses who were on duty the night before (Michelle and Jenna)-we were sad. We got breakfast and went to the Preemie Clinic. They weighed and measured Hannah Kate and she spit up all over me. Fun times.
Weight: 6.6 kg=14.52 lbs
Length: 62 cm
Head circumference: 41.3 cm
They have a growth curve specifically for preemie girls age 6 months born at 28 weeks. Hannah Kate was in the 87th percentile! She was above 60% on her length, head circumference, and length/weight proportion.
The neonatologist was one that we had seen in the NICU-Wesley remembered her, but I didn't. She was super nice and did a developmental assessment of Hannah Kate. She said she was right on target for 3-4 months which is her adjusted age, so she was very pleased. She suggested waiting until Hannah Kate holds her chin up a little better before we start her on food. I also asked her about letting Hannah Kate go to the nursery class for Bible class and she was pretty iffy on it. She first said, "She has a whole life of Bible study ahead of her." When I told her that I would be with her and that there were only 2 other babies, she decided that it was probably okay since that is the case and that it is summer. We will still have to be extra careful about people touching another baby and then touching Hannah Kate (as in, it can't happen) and during the fall/winter. She will get the flu shot when it is time-which is actually TWO shots for her-as well as the RSV shots. The RSV shots will be one shot every month from October thru March (I believe). I hate that she will have to have so many shots, but we do not want to take the risk of her getting RSV!
I think those were all of the highlights of her appointment.......I intended to write this blog post quickly after then so I didn't forget anything, but that didn't happen. :)




After her appointment, we went to see Dr. Carroll (the high risk OB that I saw at Vanderbilt) and Ms. Patti. They were so excited to see Hannah Kate (and us)! They don't get to see many happy, healthy babies after they are out in the world, so I think it brightened their day!
Ms. Patti cracked me up. She kept referring to them as Auntie Patti and Auntie Mary (Dr. C) to Hannah Kate. :) We LOVE them!
Then, we went to the NICU waiting room to see two of our day nurses who were working that day. This just happened to be Allison's last day, so we were glad we got to see her before she left!
Scarlett was excited to see how big Hannah Kate is now and even asked if it was okay to write a blog post about her on her blog (we said yes, of course). I think it was encouraging to her to see a healthy former NICU baby!
We also got to see Carol, the NICU Lactation Consultant, who has been AMAZING to us. She has emailed back and forth with me ever since we came home and has been so helpful. Unfortunately, I am a loser and forgot to get a picture :( I was so sad when I realized this!

We left Vanderbilt and went to my parents' house so that we could see them while my dad was on his lunch break and also Ma Coley. YUMMY lunch including my favorite chocolate pie by Ma Coley!



Ma Coley was VERY excited to see her and reminded me several times that she hadn't seen her since "April 16th!"


No comments:

Post a Comment