Saturday, June 9, 2012

Our Pregnancy Story (Round 3) So Far.....


Our Pregnancy Story

On Friday, April 13th, I took a pregnancy test and found out that we were expecting.  I was pretty certain that I was before I took the test and those two pink lines showed up instantly!  Wesley was busy getting ready for work and Hannah Kate was starting to wake up.  I wanted to tell him in a special way, so I had gotten out the onesie that I gave him when we found out we were pregnant before (also on Friday the 13th!).  I laid it on the bed with the test and put a blanket on top so he wouldn’t see before I was ready.  He asked me to get his lunch together and he went to get Hannah Kate.  I uncovered the onesie and test, grabbed my camera quickly, and was going to take a picture of him when he saw them on the bed.  When Wesley and Hannah Kate walked into the room, he kept asking me why I had the camera out.  I said, “I just wanted to take a picture of you. Smile!” and I took a picture of the two of them.  

He just shook his head and went to put Hannah Kate down to change her diaper and saw the surprise!  He smiled so big, it was so sweet!!  He said later that he thought I was pregnant too, but he did not have any idea that I was taking a test that morning. 

Later in the morning, I called the doctor’s office to make an appointment.  They offered me an appointment for 10 days later……I told the lady what our previous experience was and she said, “How about this afternoon?”  I was VERY appreciative to her for this!  My doctor wasn’t available (and I hadn’t even met her yet!), so I saw a midwife.  She was super nice and very encouraging and said several times, “Hopefully, this pregnancy will be VERY different!”  I had blood work done that day to check my progesterone and HCG levels, then I went back again on Monday to have them checked again (to make sure the HCG was going up like it should).  When they told me the results on Tuesday, the levels were still good, but my progesterone had gone down a little.  The nurse offered to let me go back again on Thursday to have it checked again, so I did that.  Each time I had the blood work done, Hannah Kate waited patiently in her stroller with a snack, a book, or a cup of milk and tried to play in the trash can.  J  The ladies at the office were all so nice!  Every time, someone stopped to talk to her or play with her.  On Friday, when I got the results, my progesterone was still in the normal range, but it had gone down again.  This made me concerned and I ended up calling to talk to who was on call (because it was after hours and I couldn’t get through to the office before they closed).  It was another one of the midwives and I really liked her as well.  She said that she was comfortable whether I was on extra progesterone or not, but she thought I should take it so it would make me feel better about the situation.  Wesley had just walked in when I was on the phone with her and he actually took the phone and talked to her and took my prescription over the phone.  I thought that was funny and she said it was very convenient! 
I went back to the doctor for an ultrasound and to meet my doctor on Friday, April 27th.  According to my calculations, I was right at 6 weeks.  The ultrasound technician was able to see the yolk sac, but there was no fetal pole (meaning no baby).  She said it was probably just a day or two too early and that the doctor would probably have me come back the next week and check again.  Wesley had come with me so he could help with Hannah Kate.  After the ultrasound, he went to work and we waited to see the doctor.  The doctor came in and told me that she thought there was a good chance that I had a blighted ovum (meaning no baby developed).  She wanted to check my HCG level again and have me come back in one week.  If I did have a blighted ovum, she said we could wait for me to miscarry on my own or have a D&C.  I was pretty shocked and upset.  I asked her what the deal was with me and she said, “Some people just have issues.”  Seriously!  And I am “some people.”  I really liked my doctor and I really appreciated her telling me this so that I was prepared in case that is what was happening.  I spent most of the rest of the day crying and praying.  I sent a text message to several friends asking them to pray for me but did not give details.  My HCG level was higher than the minimum that the doctor wanted it to be, so that was encouraging. 
The week went by and it was finally time for my next appointment.  We went in first thing in the morning again on Thursday, May 3rd, and Wesley was there to help with Hannah Kate.  Right away, our sweet baby popped up on the screen!  
The baby measured at 6 weeks 4 days and the heart rate was 126 bpm.  We were (and are) so thankful to God for this precious blessing!  Wesley went on to work and Hannah Kate and I waited to see the doctor.  She came in the room clapping and saying, “Yay! You have a baby!” and smiling really big.  I really like her! 
We talked a little and she answered a few questions and then she said that since I had a classical c-section before, they do not want me to labor at all when it is time for the baby to be born.  She said there’s some discussion about whether to check the baby’s lungs at 36 weeks and deliver then or wait until 37.5 weeks.  She was going to check with some of her high-risk doctor colleagues and see what they recommended for our situation.   She said we would definitely have a baby no later than 38 weeks.  My response was, “So no 12-12-12 baby, huh?”  My due date is 12-19 and 12-12 is exactly one week before, so I had it all worked out in my mind.  Oh well!  She said that we would see how things were going because that would be really neat!  Of course, we want a healthy baby and mommy and if that means no 12-12-12 baby, so be it!  I asked her how often she does ultrasounds and she said, “You want another one don’t you?”  She went ahead and scheduled me for an ultrasound for the next visit because sometimes it’s hard to hear the heartbeat that early without an ultrasound, but she said that after that I’ll be “normal” and have them at the normal times.  We will see….maybe I can talk her into more!

No comments:

Post a Comment