Friday, July 29, 2011

Humbled

Photo by Brittany Richmond


I had many thoughts running through my brain yesterday and tried thinking about how I could compile them all into a blog post. It didn't happen. I am not an eloquent writer like my friend Kristy. I told her once that I wanted to pay her to write pretty stuff about our family like she does hers. I don't think it works that way. Oh well.

Yesterday afternoon, as I rocked Hannah Kate, I found myself praying. I thanked God for this sweet, precious, healthy baby girl. This time last year I was praying everyday for a baby. I prayed that God's will would be done and that I would always remember that His plan is perfect, but oh how I wanted a baby! Everyday when Hannah Kate and I do her Bible time, I show her herself in the mirror and tell her that God made her--that Mommy and Daddy prayed for a baby and God answered our prayers. I am so thankful that He did. I know that if He had not answered in the way we had wanted, His plan would still have been perfect. God blessed us with four babies. One who we never met, two who we had for only a short time, and this precious girl.
Later in the day yesterday, I stumbled upon two blogs. One was written by a mother whose baby is terminally ill. Not only is he sick, but it's a painful illness that causes him to be in extreme pain all day long. I cannot imagine bearing that burden. Another one was written by a mother who has several children and writes about homeschooling. One section of her blog is entitled "The Grieving Mother" and it is about losing their baby when she was 5 or 6 months old. Her story of the moments when they realized their baby was gone and handing her over to the nurse before they left is heartbreaking.
I am incredibly thankful that we have the comfort of knowing that our babies are in heaven. They never had to endure the burdens, pain, and suffering of the world. They are in the most amazing, peaceful, glorious place there is.
I have had many people email or Facebook message me because they read our story on here. Some of them I do not know, some I knew from years ago, and some are good friends. Many people have said that our story is amazing. Part of me wants to say that our story is not amazing, but our God is. Another part of me wants to say that our story is an example of God providing for His children and providing an opportunity to draw closer to Him. Either way, it's not about us, it's all about Him. He is faithful. He is amazing. I am thankful. I am humbled.

Psalm 111:7-8
7 The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy;
8 they are established forever and ever,
to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
(ESV)

2 comments:

  1. It is so good for me as a nurse to meet parents like you. We that sometimes;)Hannah looks great! Perfect little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is amazing and such a wonderful provider. Thank you for the inspiring reminder that life is about what He does for us. HK is a beautiful example :)

    ReplyDelete