Sunday, September 11, 2011

Making baby food!

I am so excited about making baby food! This is one of those things that I thought sounded like a good idea, but I seriously had my doubts that I could pull it off. I mentioned to Wesley (when Hannah Kate was in the NICU) that it would be neat if we could make our own baby food. He saw this as a great reason to need to buy a food processor (if you know Wesley, this doesn't surprise you) and found a great deal on a KitchenAid food processor. After having it for about 6 months, I finally used it this weekend for the first time! Wholesome Baby Foods is a great website full of recipes and instructions on how to make baby food. Thankfully, I also had my friends Jennifer and Kellee who had experience to answer my questions and picture texts of "Does this look right?" The first thing I made was sweet potatoes (top picture). You can cook them several different ways, but I chose to bake them. If I make them again, I will peel them first and boil them. Peeling already baked sweet potatoes is a little tricky and makes for some hot and messy fingers! I read the manual on the food processor and even sticky note tagged the important pages. I couldn't get them smooth enough, so I ended up having to use the blender. I informed Wesley that his fancy food processor was more trouble (and parts) than it was worth. He pointed out that I used the bigger bowl and the smaller bowl would have made more sense. Hmmmm......I used the smaller bowl when I made butternut squash (bottom picture)--that worked much better. You do NOT have to have a food processor to make baby food-and the blender worked fine (except when the bottom fell out of it when I was pouring the sweet potatoes into the ice cube trays, but that's a different story!). We just transferred the food from ice cube trays to the freezer bags and that was an experience. I'll have to research better ways to do that before I make more food because they got stuck in the trays! Oops. Anyhow, I am excited and can't wait for Hannah Kate to eat these and love them! (She better!)

I am also excited about the super cute labels I spent way too much time making to go on the bags (because writing it in Sharpie just isn't cute enough).
Special thanks to:
~Hannah Kate for sleeping 2 whole hours so I could make baby food
~Jennifer and Kellee for answering my questions
~Wesley for getting the food unstuck from ice cube trays
~the lady at the farmers' market for being so nice to answer my questions (such as, "What is that? Oh, butternut squash, good! that's what I needed!") and select the best potatoes and squash!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone (and the computer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment