Friday, January 20, 2012

Hannah Kate's Birthday

***I now have a crochet pattern if anyone needs it!***
A year ago today, I was 26 weeks pregnant and spent the night at Erlanger trying to get rid of contractions. I am so thankful those sweet babies waited! Last week, I looked at my blog post from then and saw that I had a FFN test which was negative and meant there was a 99% chance that I would not deliver for two more weeks. I delivered 2 weeks and 1 day later. Interesting! Anyhow, last year I was "sitting and knitting" trying to keep those babies in! This year, I'm doing lots of things like chasing Hannah Kate, feeding Hannah Kate, playing with Hannah Kate, cleaning up after Hannah Kate, and doing a tad bit of sitting and knitting too. We are blessed!
Wesley and I decided when Hannah Kate was in the NICU that we wanted her first birthday party to include an opportunity for our family and friends to make donations to the NICU. The Vanderbilt NICU holds a "Swaddled with Love" blanket drive in February and we thought that was pretty perfect since Hannah Kate's birthday is in February. :)
You can see below what we are planning on doing.
We are doing this for two main reasons:
1) the NICU needs these items to help those precious tiny babies and their families. The donations will be MUCH appreciated (Hannah Kate's first clothes were donated NICU items as well as the first knitted hat and blanket she used (her mommy wasn't quick enough apparently!))
2) we want Hannah Kate to learn the importance of helping others and we think her first birthday is a great time to start (we hope to make this an annual tradition)
So, if you would like to help Hannah Kate celebrate in a special way, you are more than welcome to donate some items to the NICU. My parents will be coming from Middle Tennessee for her party and the Duncans will be coming from JC-I haven't asked them if they can be a courier for items, but I'm sure they don't mind!
We are looking forward to a lot of first birthday fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are thankful to God for His blessings on our family in the past year! Hannah Kate doesn’t need any gifts, but we know it’s fun to shop for babies. So, if you would like to shop, please see the note below. Thank you so much to our family and friends for your support over the past year. We are blessed by you and thankful for you!

Now, let’s celebrate!!!
Wesley, Denise, and Hannah Kate

* On 2-2-11 at 28 weeks, Hannah Kate made her debut. Now that she is turning 1, she has a request for you.

Toys & books & clothes & things-she doesn’t need any.

But if you bring blankets, hats, or clothes, she will share with the NICU babies many! *

Hannah Kate benefited so much from donated items during her NICU stay and we would like to help other precious babies!

The Vanderbilt NICU needs:

*Blankets (receiving blankets, soft blankets, crocheted or knitted blankets)

*Hats (preemie size store bought or handmade)

*Preemie Clothes (no zippers, please)


I have also communicated with a lady from Palliative Care at VCH (they work with families who have lost or are going to lose their babies) and she expressed the same kind of needs for them. They were some of the first people to come visit us before and after the birth of our babies and I believe they are the ones who brought donated knitted blankets and hats for Rachel and Leah. She also expressed a need for clothes and hats for babies weighing 2-4 pounds.

If you are a knitter, I have a pattern that I can share with you that I normally use. I have directions on how I have adapted it for preemies, and it's a little wordy so I won't add it here. Just comment on this post or email me and I will be glad to email it to you.
(Crocheted items are welcome too! I just don't have a pattern to share :) )

No post is complete without pictures, so here are some of the things Hannah Kate (& her mommy) have been working on to donate. :) (the crocheted blankets were given by a sweet lady at our congregation & the receiving blankets we found on clearance at target.)

No comments:

Post a Comment