Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cloth Diaperin'


(Cloth diaper under his clothes)

We have been cloth diapering for almost a month.  I have already learned a lot about the process & what works best for Micaiah (& us).  I decided that we needed to try this to save money. So far, no money has been saved, but we WILL.  I didn't realize until I looked into it how much of an investment it is up front. It will pay off eventually, but we aren't quite there yet.  At this point, Micaiah is the only one in cloth diapers.  Hannah Kate is not a big fan of change, and I just didn't think it was worth the battle.  Hopefully, we can get this kid potty trained soon & it won't even be an issue. 
To begin with, I was only using cloth diapers at home.  I didn't have enough to get through the day anyway & I wanted to get all of the kinks out before I got brave.  As of this week, he is wearing them all throughout the day, even when we are not at home (although when we go on an overnight trip, he wears disposable).  I am still putting a disposable on him at night just because he is sleeping so well.  I don't want to take the chance of a diaper leaking & waking him up. I know it's doable & I could put extra inserts in, but I'm just not going to think that hard yet!  We have several different brands & a sweet friend sent me some to try out also.  Oddly enough, the diaper he is wearing in these pictures (the first one he wore), is one that I decided we did not love.  Thankfully, there's a hot market for used cloth diapers, so some baby in a far away state is now enjoying this one!  We've budgeted money to buy more cloth diapers next month so we can have a big enough stash that I don't have to wash everyday.  It is not as gross as we expected (Wesley even said so). If we can just get our washing routine figured out, we will be in good shape.  I didn't realize until now how bad our hard well water is.  YIKES! It has wreaked havoc on these poor diapers.  BUT, we are working it out I hope.
Anyway, here is my cloth diaper Pinterest board with good links and resources.  So far, my favorite diapers are Swaddlebees Simplex All in Ones One Size & Fuzzibunz One Size (one size means they fit for a really long time!).  There are videos on both links if you want to see how they work.  There is also a cloth diaper channel on YouTube (who knew!) that has great videos explaining the whole process.  The best video I saw was sent to me by a friend with a warning that the lady was not dressed very modestly (and she wasn't! I think I'd dress a little better if I was putting a video on YouTube that thousands of people would see, but anyway.....). If you are interested in cloth diapering, I can look up the links that I watched that helped me decided to be brave & attempt it!  It is MUCH easier than I expected!


2 comments:

  1. Nice! We were going to cloth diaper the twins because we had no clue how we were going to afford that many diapers. It never happened once Cohen was in the NICU for so long etc. We ran out of diapers and were trying to hold off until the end of the month to buy more so I've been putting him in the few that we have. I'm considering it with new baby too, so I look forward to hearing what you figure out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I'm still not sure if I could cloth diaper a newborn but a neighbor friend is so I'm going to grill her about it later! There are lots of good online places to buy used & it's safe & cheap so if you need that info let me know!

      Delete